Sunday, February 27, 2005

Tom Vek / M.I.A.

The latest next big thing to come from London, Tom Vek's debut album just got a release date: April 4th (UK only for now, of course). His music is retro dance/garage rock, with sassy bass lines and catchy synth drums, and vocals full of punk attitude with the occasional witty lyrics. New single 'I Ain't Saying My Goodbyes' comes out next month and further showcases his punchy electro-rock sound, but in the meanwhile let's revisit his last single, the raw and funky 'If You Want'.


Talking about release dates, the one for M.I.A.'s album Arular has been pushed back at least until mid-March due to legal issues over a sample used on the record. The Sri-Lankan-born, London-based rapper Maya Arulpragasam released two infectious and groundbreaking singles in the last few months, and the anticipation for her full-length debut has been building up to a point only comparable in recent times to the high expectations generated by Bloc Party or LCD Soundsystem. Here's hoping that, like those two debuts, M.I.A.'s doesn't disappoint either. For now, I'll just keep dancing to the absolutely irresistible 'Galang'.